First Bank of Nigeria Limited – A Dynamic Team Lead for Initiative Support Needed
Table of Contents
First Bank of Nigeria Limited (FirstBank) is Nigeria’s largest financial services institution in terms of total assets and gross earnings. Boasting over 10 million customer accounts, FirstBank operates a vast network of over 750 branches, offering a comprehensive range of retail and corporate financial services.
The bank has a strong international presence through its subsidiaries, including FBN Bank (UK) Limited in London and Paris, FBNBank DRC, FBNBank Ghana, FBNBank Gambia, FBNBank Guinea, FBNBank Sierra-Leone, and FBNBank Senegal. Additionally, FirstBank has representative offices in Johannesburg, Beijing, and Abu Dhabi.
FirstBank is currently seeking for qualified candidates to fill in a vacant position within the organization.
Team Lead, Initiative Support
- The Delivery and Measurement function acts as an operational branch within the Enterprise Data Management & Transformational Analytics (EDMTA) Department at FirstBank. Its main purpose is to facilitate the effective execution and achievement of the bank’s initiatives and projects, ensuring their successful implementation and value realization.
- The Delivery and Measurement function is located in Lagos, Nigeria, providing comprehensive support for all data-related initiatives. This includes overseeing Portfolios, offering management advisory services, executing projects, and managing the human resources involved in these endeavours.
- The main responsibility of the Lead Initiative Support is to assist the EDMTA by establishing the necessary frameworks, tools, and methodologies to ensure the presence of appropriate programs and projects.
- This includes maintaining a balance between operational and transformative priorities, facilitating governance and decision-making processes, and ensuring sufficient resources and capabilities to deliver successful initiatives consistently.Additionally, the Lead Initiative Support is responsible for continuously measuring the value generated from these initiatives.
- The Lead Initiative provides various functions and services, which include:
- Strategic Planning/Portfolio Support: The Lead Initiative assists EDMTA in aligning its efforts towards prioritizing projects that advance the Bank’s data agenda.
- Delivery Support: The Lead Initiative ensures that EDMTA executes projects efficiently by providing effective program and project delivery support.
- Best Practices: The Lead Initiative promotes adherence to the Bank’s project management standards, encourages consistent working practices, and ensures the appropriate application of these standards.
- The Delivery and Measurement team will be responsible for ensuring adherence to project management policies, processes, and methodologies in line with the organization’s standards. They will also serve as the primary Project Assurance unit within the business unit, representing the Chief Data Officer.
- Under the direct supervision of the Chief Data Officer, the Delivery and Measurement team plays a crucial role in driving EDMTA towards the successful achievement of its mission-focused goals and objectives.
Development and planning:
- The Delivery and Measurement lead provides appropriate levels of programmatic management support to the Chief Data Officer regarding all ongoing project activities. This includes maintaining and implementing appropriate standards and best practices in line with the Bank’s policies and procedures.
- The lead offers advice and support for potential and current engagements of high value and risk. They assist Engagement Authorities in strengthening project governance structures and processes to achieve high standards and consistency in line with EDMTA success criteria.
- The lead directly contributes to strategic oversight, offering advice and direction on programme and project management activities. This is done in accordance with service agreements and project documents, ensuring that programmes and projects align with strategic objectives and targets.
- They develop and establish resource tracking systems for use within the EDMTA office. These systems are designed to ensure effective planning, forecasting, and tracking of delivery across the EDMTA.
- The lead identifies and anticipates potential risks and issues on time, advising the Chief Data Officer team on mitigating measures. This proactive approach helps address challenges before they escalate and impact project outcomes.
Set-up and closure:
- Facilitate the development of high-level programme/project plans by consolidating lower-level plans into programme/project-level milestones.
- Develop, monitor, and manage dependencies while advising management to ensure delivery quality throughout the project lifecycle.
- Work closely with Unit Heads and Data Project stakeholders, offering support on project operational issues, such as project assets, finances, and other related matters as needed.
- For project closure purposes, act as a focal point between EDMTA and other key stakeholders, or nominate and supervise a representative. This ensures a seamless and collaborative process during project closure.
- Oversee and coordinate all project closure activities, collaborating closely with Unit Heads and data project stakeholders across the Bank. This includes ensuring appropriate disposal of project assets, timely and effective final reporting, updating information on the project repository, and facilitating the effective handover of closed projects for financial closure processes.
Monitoring and Reporting
- Assist the Chief Data Officer in conducting regular reviews of project status, evaluating performance criteria such as scope, cost, schedule, and quality.
- Maintain progress reports in accordance with the Bank’s procedures.
- Proactively identify and anticipate potential risks and issues related to delivery forecasts, and advise the Chief Data Officer on mitigating measures.
- Establish and maintain effective monitoring and evaluation systems for programme and project activities, aligning with internal requirements. Offer guidance and support to portfolio managers and teams to ensure high-quality delivery.
- Within the context of monitoring and evaluation, ensure that all projects submit and regularly update specific milestones and targets throughout their life cycles, tracking progress as required by the Bank’s guidelines.
- Provide editorial support to programmes and projects, ensuring the effective and timely dissemination of reports in accordance with project documentation and clients’ expectations.
- Coordinate and oversee the implementation of requests or initiatives relevant to data projects as necessary.
- Assist the Chief Data Officer in regularly monitoring projects to ensure they achieve set targets and results, delivering services according to agreed terms and conditions, and meeting deadlines.
- Collaborate with the Chief Data Officer to establish a robust risk-based internal control system, regularly exercising it in line with the Bank’s guidelines and tools.
- Implement adequate quality management procedures across projects/portfolios within EDMTA.
- Integrate assurance procedures into the programme management of EDMTA, consistently applying them across all projects/portfolios according to the Bank’s corporate guidelines, procedures, and policies.
- Identify organizational-level threats and opportunities, evaluating their implications.
- Provide scrutiny, challenge, and support to the programme and projects steering committee.
- Forecast and track benefits (outcomes) to be realized from projects.
- Ensure compliance with the Bank’s defined standards for programme/project management.
- Coordinate quality reviews of programme/project documents and deliverables.
- Oversee the quality control of management products such as project documents and reports.
- Represent the Chief Data Officer in supporting key stakeholders to identify and enhance operational processes relevant to project implementation continuously.
- Act as a focal point for the EDMTA maturity enhancement initiatives.
- Make recommendations on policy and tools to advance EDMTA strategic project management goals.
- Contribute to the development of guidance material and tools that support EDMTA strategic project management goals.
- Participate in relevant Communities of Practice and advocate for participation in these communities.
- Actively interact with the wider project management community to share case studies, lessons learned, and best practices in the Knowledge System.
- Provide feedback to Practice Leads on policy and supporting guidance to improve the Bank’s policies continuously.
- Contribute to the oversight of lessons learned procedures and ensure timely and appropriate sharing of lessons learned.
Training and capacity building:
- Offer guidance and assistance to project management professionals on implementing effective practices of project and program governance, risk management, and project and program management.
- Provide support and training to internal teams in project and program management, and offer consulting services to enhance their capabilities.
- Advise and assist EDMTA in project and program development, aligning with their initiatives and roll-outs.
- Identify any skills and competence gaps within the team required to carry out the portfolio of changes and recommend appropriate development opportunities.
- A Bachelor’s Degree is a mandatory requirement.
- PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification is highly preferred.
- Possession of MSP certification (Foundation and Practitioner) is advantageous.
- The candidate must have at least seven years of relevant and progressive professional experience.
- Fluency in English is a prerequisite.
15th August 2023.
Method of Application
Candidates who are interested and qualified should:
Click here to apply online