Water drinking and its Health Benefits
Water according to chemistry is a substance composed of the chemical elements; hydrogen and oxygen denoted by the chemical formula H2O. It exists in liquid, solid and gaseous states. It is one of the plentiful and most essential of compounds.
A tasteless and odourless liquid, it has the ability to dissolve many other substances. Indeed the versatility of water as a liquid is essential to live organisms. The life form is believed to have originated in aqueous solutions of the world’s oceans, and living organisms present in the sea depend on an aqueous solution, such as blood and digestive juices, for biological processes.
In small quantities water appears to be colourless, but when together in a larger quantity, appears to have an intrinsic blue colour caused by slight absorption of light at red wavelengths. Scientific research proves that water actually exists in other planets and the moons both within and beyond the solar system.
However, it is general knowledge that it is important to stay hydrated, but what are the reasons?
Drinking enough water is a necessity for all living organisms as staying hydrated is the first rule of health and nutrition. 70% of our body is made up of water so it is no shocking discovery that we need to provide our body with more and more water. The human body can last weeks without food but in reference to water, it’s just a few days.
There are a lot of health issues both long and short term, that could arise as a result of being dehydrated (lack of water in the body). Some of which are; migraines, hypertension, convulsion, kidney stones, indigestion, constipation and even breast cancer and lots of other ailments.
Below are some of the health benefits of ingesting water on a daily basis:
- It helps to improve the proper functioning of the memory and mood of an individual: Shocking but true, research has shown that even the slightest bit of dehydration can affect one’s memory and mood in everyone, ranging from children to the elderly. So it is necessary to stay hydrated in order to keep the mind stable.
- Staying hydrated also helps with weight maintenance: the consumption of water before taking a meal may fill you up more and therefore promote weight loss and improved insulin resistance by eating less meal. For instance, if a person intends to loosen down weight, drinking at least a glass of water before eating will help with your weight loss.
- It also improves exercise performance: This is one of the reasons why athletes take a lot of water before sporting activities because it helps relax the nerves and keep blood pressure stable thereby boosting their sports performance. Even taking enough water before a morning jog also helps keep the body stable as a large quantity of water is lost through sweating.
- It prevents constipation in both children and adults: water helps to maintain the steady flow of processes in the body thereby aiding the work of the digestive system, hence staying hydrated helps prevent constipation in both children and adult. After taking a meal we are advised to drink enough water to aid proper food digestion.
- A steady intake of water helps reduce headaches and migraines: lack of water in our bodies increases your chances for a headache or migraine.
- It inhibits the formation of kidney stones: poor hydration or lack of ingesting enough water especially after a meal, could aid the formation of kidney stones. Water aids the breakdown of food substances in our body, therefore taking enough water after eating prevents the formation of kidney stones.
- It helps reduce a hangover: drinking water may not necessarily prevent hangover but keeping the body hydrated always, reduces some of the negative effects of consuming alcohol.
- Staying hydrated help reduce anxiety: dehydration can cause nervousness/anxiety in some individuals. Dehydration in most cases have adverse effects on the brain, as well as the body, and research has shown that even the slightest bit of dehydration can have a negative impact on energy levels and moods. So we are advised to stay hydrated always.
- Consumption of enough water can help increase our hair shine and texture: it is said that a good diet helps develop hair growth, the same applies to water. A steady intake of water improves the hair features based on glow and texture.
- By drinking water, your body releases toxins faster which will therefore give your skin that youthful glow and radiance you may need artificial products for. This is so because the shortage of water in your body can cause premature wrinkles and deeper pores.
- Drinking water also purifies your colon, letting the organ absorb nutrients faster naturally, aiding digestion.
- Steady water intake relieves heartburn and indigestion: Heartburn is caused by the stomach acid entering into the gullet. This can be easily avoided by daily intake of water, especially after a meal. In the case of indigestion, staying well-hydrated can be a vital step to induce the steady flow of food substances taken into the body. Water is important for your digestion. It keeps the food you eat moving through your intestines, and it keeps your intestines clear and flexible too. Frequently consuming water can make the digestion process better.
Another fact to be taken into consideration is the intake of water during morning hours before any other activity. Drinking water first thing in the morning detoxifies the system and also flushes out the stomach, therefore balancing the lymphatic system.
A stable lymphatic system will help build a strong immune system, which will prevent you from getting sick as often. Water intake before taking a bath keeps the body calm and relaxed. The Japanese population is known to be one of the slimmest cultures and they drink water immediately after waking up in the morning! Funny but true. Now you see why there is a need to consume a lot of water on a daily.