The Letter J Examples – 75 Examples Of Words That Starts With Letter J
Table of Contents
The letter “J” is a significant character in the English alphabet. It is the 10th letter of the English alphabet, originated from the Phoenician alphabet and evolved from the Semitic letter “yodh.”
It is commonly pronounced as a voiced palatal-alveolar affricate sound /dʒ/. “J” is widely used in forming words and has cultural and historical importance. It appears at the beginning of names, nouns, adjectives, and verbs.
It also holds symbolic value in mathematics and scientific fields. The letter “J” exists in various alphabets and writing systems worldwide. Overall, it symbolises identity, sound, and linguistic diversity.
This post will disclose a specific quantity of words that initiate with the letter J.
2 Letter Words That Begin With The Letter J
- Jo – A Scottish term meaning “darling.”
- Ja – A slang term for “yes”.
3 Letter Words That Begin With The Letter J
- Job: A task or piece of work that is done to earn money or gain employment.
- Jam: A sweet spread made from fruit and sugar, typically eaten on bread or toast. It can also refer to a situation where objects or people are tightly packed together and unable to move freely.
- Jet: A rapid stream of liquid or gas from a small opening or an aircraft powered by jet engines.
- Jot: To quickly write down or note something briefly.
- Jag: A sharp, protruding point or edge, or a period of indulgence in a particular activity, often excessive or uncontrolled.
- Jug: A container, typically made of glass or clay, used for holding liquids.
- Joy: A feeling of great happiness or delight.
- Jaw: The upper and lower bony structures holding the teeth or the act of talking excessively or gossipingly.
- Jib: A triangular sail at the front of a sailboat, or to refuse to do something or show reluctance.
- Jig: A lively dance or musical piece, often characterized by a quick and rhythmic movement. It can also refer to a device or tool for holding or guiding something.
4 Letter Words That Begin With The Letter J
- Jade: A hard, typically green stone used for jewellery or ornaments.
- Jolt: A sudden strong movement or shock.
- Joke: A humorous or witty remark or story.
- Jump: To propel oneself off the ground by using one’s legs.
- Jury: A group of people selected to hear evidence and make a decision in a court of law.
- Jail: A place where individuals are held in custody as punishment or while awaiting trial.
- Jake: A colloquial term refers to a person or a fellow.
- Jamb: The vertical side of a doorway or window frame.
- Jane: A female given name or a generic term used to refer to an average or ordinary woman.
- Jars: Containers typically made of glass or ceramic used for storing food or other items.
- Java: A programming language widely used for developing web and mobile applications.
- Jaws: The bony framework surrounding the mouth of vertebrates, typically used for biting and chewing.
- Jean: A type of sturdy cotton fabric used for making clothing, particularly jeans.
- Jeff: A masculine given name often used as a shortened form of Jeffrey or Jefferson.
- Jets: High-speed aircraft propelled by jet engines or streams of fluid expelled from the rear.
- Jinx: A supposed curse or spell that brings bad luck or misfortune.
- Jive: A lively and energetic swing dance or slang style associated with African American jazz musicians in the 1930s and 1940s.
- Jobs: Paid regular employment positions, usually involving specific tasks or responsibilities.
5 Letter Words That Begin With The Letter J
- Judge – a person appointed or elected to make decisions in a court of law and administer justice.
- Juice – the liquid extracted from fruits or vegetables, often consumed as a beverage.
- Joint – a point where two or more things are joined or a place in the body where two bones meet.
- Jewel – a precious stone, typically a single crystal or piece of a hard, colourful mineral, used for personal adornment.
- Jolly – full of high spirits and good humour, cheerful and lively.
- Joust – a medieval sport where two knights on horseback attempt to unhorse each other using lances.
- Jazzy – relating to or characteristic of jazz music, lively, spirited, or stylish.
- Jacket – a garment for the upper body, typically having sleeves and a fastening down the front.
- Japan – a country in East Asia known for its rich history, culture, and technological advancements.
- Jelly – a soft, semisolid food substance, typically sweet and made with fruit juice or syrup.
- Jumbo – extremely large or significant, often used to describe oversized or extra-large objects.
- Jumps – leaping or springing off the ground or another surface.
- Jumpy – nervous or uneasy, prone to sudden movements or reactions.
- Jaded – tired, bored, or lacking enthusiasm, typically after experiencing too much of something.
6 Letter Words That Begin With The Letter J
- Jacket: A clothing worn over the upper body typically has sleeves and a fastening down the front.
- Jigsaw: A puzzle consisting of various irregularly shaped pieces that, when correctly assembled, form a complete picture.
- Jockey: A person who rides horses in horse racing, typically as a profession.
- Jogger: A person who runs slowly, steadily as a form of exercise.
- Jumper: A knitted or crocheted garment typically worn over a shirt, blouse, or dress, usually with long sleeves.
- Jingle: A short, catchy tune or song used in advertising or as a means of identification.
- Jester: A professional fool or clown who entertained medieval and Renaissance audiences with jokes, tricks, and amusing performances.
- Jungle: A dense and tangled mass of vegetation typically found in tropical rainforests.
- Jewels: Precious stones or gems often used in jewellery for their beauty and value.
- Jetlag: A feeling of fatigue and disorientation caused by travelling across multiple time zones quickly, disrupting the body’s natural circadian rhythm.
- Jovial: Cheerful and friendly in nature or disposition.
- Jargon: Specialized or technical language used by a particular group or profession that may be difficult for others to understand.
- Jumble: A confused or disordered mixture or collection of things.
7 Letter Words That Begin With The Letter J
- Journey: A trip or travel from one place to another, usually over a long distance.
- Javelin: A long spear-like weapon used in track and field events or as a hunting weapon.
- Jarring: Something that causes a strong or unpleasant reaction, often due to being inappropriate or out of place.
- Juggled: Manipulating objects, usually by throwing and catching them skillfully.
- Jacuzzi: A brand name for a large whirlpool bath or hot tub.
- Jangled: To make a harsh, discordant sound, often referring to a collection of objects making noise when they collide.
- Jetties: Structures built out into a body of water to protect a harbour, channel, or shoreline and direct or prevent water movement.
- Jiggled: To move or cause to move with small, quick, and jerky motions.
- Jerking: A sudden, sharp movement or pull.
- Junction: A point where two or more things are joined or meet, often referring to roads, railways, or other transportation routes.
- Juggler: A person who entertains by performing tricks with objects, typically involving throwing and catching.
- Joystick: A hand-held device used to control the movement or operation of electronic equipment, particularly in gaming or aviation.
- Jealous: Feeling or showing envy, often related to someone else’s possessions, achievements,
- Jackpot: A large prize or sum of money, often won in a game of chance or lottery.
- Jazzing: The act of playing or performing jazz music characterized by syncopated rhythms, improvisation, and a lively and energetic style.
- Junkyard: A place where old or unwanted items, particularly vehicles or machinery, are stored or discarded.
- Jostled: To push or bump against someone or something in a crowded or forceful manner, often unintentionally.