Food budgeting -10 Factors that affect food budgeting
Table of Contents
Sequel to the current hike in prices of food items and accessibility. Food as we know is any substance take to enhance digestion, absorption and assimilation of food. Food performs various functions in the body.
Food budgeting is an estimate of the possible amount of money or food resources to be consumed by a person in a specified time frame. Food planning is a tentative estimate of the types of foods to be eaten by individuals within a time frame.
Put together, food budgeting and planning comprises the total amount of money, the quantity and quality of various foods resources available and the types of foods that the family intends to eat at a particular. Estimating the amount of money spent on the purchase of food items might be difficult due to the price of foodstuff. Therefore, it is advisable for you to make planning and budget base on the money available.
Factors that affect food budgeting and planning
- Financial factor: The financial status of a person will determine his or her budget. A low-income earner would plan and budget for what his or her income will afford. But a high-income earning will make sure that all the ingredients are available in their good quantity and quality.
- Age: As people get older, their body changes as some food items would be omitted or reduced especially those rich in carbohydrates.
- Availability of food items: The planner will go for food items that are accessible to that particular area. For instance, those in the Northern part of Nigeria would prefer their tomatoes because it is available in large quantity while those in the Southern part will rarely omit vegetables in their meals because of its availability.
- Price of food items: The prices of food items are not stable at all. This poses a serious issue to food planning and budgeting. Some food items are cheap than others while others are not even though they belong to the same class.
- Choice of food: People’s choice of food varies due to food allergies. Some people that have serious allergies to a particular food will find it difficult to eat that food when it is being prepared. A person that purges after eating beans will definitely avoid beans. the body needs affect the choice of food. A person that is obsessed will avoid carbohydrates food.
- Seasonal variations of food items: It affects the planning and budgeting of food because some food items are only available at a particular season and may not be available in another season.
- Nutritious/ individual awareness: The food we eat must contain all the six classes of food. If one is not aware of this, balanced diet won’t be achieved. In fact, some people are not aware of the type of food to purchase and may spend money on individual preference instead of quantity and quality of food.
- Size of the family: The larger the size of the family, the larger the budget and planning. The budget and planning for a family of five cannot be the same with a family of ten.
- Availability of cooking equipment: Some meals will require special equipment. For example, cake or meatpie. Therefore, plan according to the available equipment.
- Health condition: This greatly affects food budgeting and planning. If most members of the family are diabetic, there will be a reduction in carbohydrates. A home with an ulcer patient will always avoid too much pepper.
Things to consider when planning or budgeting for a meal
- Make sure that family members have their breakfast, lunch and dinner.
- Food should contain all the six classes of food.
- Health conditions of family members should be considered as well.
- Pregnant women, nursing mothers, weaning mothers, adolescents, the elderly should be considered.
- Varieties of food should be introduced to avoid lack of interest or monotony
- If possible food items like rice, beans, garri, oil should be bought in bulk.
- There should be adequate facility that will enhance storage of food.
- Plan according to your income to avoid borrowing.
- Prepare different meals with different taste.
- Make sure the meal is simple and easy to prepare with the available time.