Pun, Sarcasm, Dark humour, Meaning and examples
WHAT IS A PUN
A pun, also called Paronomasia, is an interplay of homophones (words with the same pronunciation but different meaning) for the sole purpose of humour.
Is there an objective purpose for the overall formation of a Pun?
Yes, under word forensics it promotes creative propensities for both the writer and reader, it serves as a humorous expression that unclad laughter and it’s key to producing comic relief for a write-up, however, it wouldn’t be ideal to involve this literary device in essays.
Types of Pun
A pun being inclined to rhetorics uses dual meanings of words to achieve its desired effect. There are different categories of Pun that you’d most likely want to learn.
Homographs are words spelt the same way but portraying different meanings this can also be addressed as “Heteronymic” puns.
- The library is the tallest building in town- it has a thousand stories.
- I dropped an electron somewhere- Are you sure!- yes, I’m positive
- Russell is like an abandoned school, he has no principle
- After hours of waiting for the bowling alley to open, we finally got the ball rolling
- If you don’t pay your exorcist you’ll get repossessed
- Every calendar’s days are numbered
Compound puns are clusters of several puns in a statement
- Everyone thinks your running nose is funny, but it’s snot
- One hundred hares have escaped the zoo, so police are combing the area.
- Did you hear about the lumberjack that couldn’t hack it? They gave him an ax.
- Because I wear an expensive watch every one thinks I have all the time in the word
- Jungle animals are always fair cheetahs are always spotted.
This pun is created with words having similar sounds but meaning and spellings.
- Reading while sunbathing makes you well-red
- No matter how much you push the envelope, it will still be stationery
- My bicycle has a problem standing cause it’s two-tired
Example of other Pun
1. I was struggling to figure out how lighting works, but then it struck me
2. My maths teacher called me average, she’s so mean
3. Guerrilla warfare is more than just throwing a banana.
4. I thought Santa was going to be late but he arrived in the Nick of Time.
5. Labour animals hardly eat eggs, the yoke is always on them
6. “Denial ain’t just a river in Egypt” -Mark twain
7. Safety Experts say school bus passengers should be belted
8. New study of obesity looks for a larger test group
Sarcasm originates from the Greek word “sarkasmos” meaning “ripping flesh”.
Sarcasm is the extensile use of verbal irony to tender out mockery, ridicules, to show contempt, and a brazen show of disrespect. Although employing the use of verbal irony to pass critics there is an outstanding difference between sarcasm and verbal irony one being a deliberate attempt to mock, adjudicate and insult for fun or correction while the other being the latter generates humour.
The intent behind sarcastic remarks is bent on explicit criticism, direct antagonism, and unforced verbal hurt.
Sarcasm also differs from Pun greatly in that sarcasm is a tone rather than a rhetoric fact, and by understanding it’s discovered in a dialogue.
The purest form of sarcasm can be easily detected in sentences with stressed conjunctions, properties, articles, and prepositions in that sentence, and the tone in respect to the subject and event.
-Oh yes, you’ve been sooooooooo helpful, thanks a lot for allll you’ve done.
– I made the genius choice of selling my house right before I decided to move.
– you don’t say
– yeah because that’s never happened
-tell me something I don’t know
1. Was there a lack of graves in Egypt, that you took us away to die in the wilderness? (Exodus 14:11).
2. I take risks, sometimes patients die. But not taking risks causes more patients to die, so I guess my biggest problem is I’ve been cursed with the ability to do the math. (Dr. House,)
3. Ugliness can be fixed, stupidity is forever
4. I believe I appear stupid to you
5. Aim at nothing, you’ll hit it every time
6. It’s better to keep your mouth shut and appear stupid than open it and remove all doubt- Mark Twain.
7. Propaganda is amazing. People can be led to believe anything
8. There are times when parenthood seems nothing more than feeding the hand that bites you ( Peter De Vries)
9. I want to die a natural death at the age of 102- like the city in Detroit? Dead pool).
10. Chandler: “Dear God. Hold on, there’s something different”
Ross: “I went to the tanning place your wife suggested”
Chandler: “was that place the sun?”
11. “Bullets ain’t racism kid, they only hate you”( Kool G. Rap).
Also identified as Black Comedy.
Dark humor is a form of art that juxtaposes sickly or critical life elements with a comical tone and expressions to italicize the insentient and futility of reality. Dark humor stresses on farces and low comedy to unfold the clarity of humanity’s helpless state in the presence of fate.
This also involves a brazen disparagement and disrespect to the differently-abled, using, death, diseases, tragedies, deformity to tickle the sense of humor.
Of course, loving such would prove you to be a psychotic insensible sentient form of existence but a 2017 study by an Austrian neurologist published in cognitive processing found that people who regard dark jokes and gallows comedy possess a higher IQ than the average Sentient being.
Examples of Dark Humor.
1. After standing and pondering for over a few minutes I walked over to my dad who was still digging I tapped him, he deserves to know I don’t want to see grandpa anymore
2. As I get older, I remember all the people I lost along the way. Maybe a career as a tour guide was not the right choice.
3. My wife left a note on the fridge that said “this isn’t working” I’m not sure what she’s talking about. I opened the fridge door and it’s working fine!
4. My wife said I should take care of the spider in the bathtub so I took him out we had a couple of drinks, he’s a cool guy, he wants to be a web designer.
5. Clarence has been crippled for over a year, he still believes he can stand up to bullying.
6. My wife and I have reached a difficult decision that we do not want children. If anybody does, please just send me your contact details and we can drop them off tomorrow.
7. Every zodiac sign has its own hairstyle except cancer
8. All jokes are funny if you use the right delivery, except for abortion jokes there are no deliveries
9. Do orphans eat at family restaurants?
10. Would you like to try African food? yeah, they too.
11. My girlfriend is half Korean, her dad is Korean, her mom is Korean, she lost half of her body in a car accident.
12. Seeing a slut wearing a face mask and hand gloves is the only time she wears protection.
13. It’s not rape if she is dead.
14. Nasa confirms there’s clean water on Mars. Mars:1 Africa: 0
15. When your mom moves to beat your dad but then your dad gets up and beats her first.