2 ongoing recruitment – At the British Council
Table of Contents
The British Council is an organization based in the UK that fosters cultural relations and provides educational opportunities. We aim to promote understanding and knowledge between the people of the UK and other countries.
We strive to positively impact the UK and the countries where we operate by creating opportunities, fostering connections, and building trust.
Our work spans various fields, including arts and culture, the English language, education, and civil society. We collaborate with over 100 countries worldwide, engaging with over 20 million people in-person and over 500 million online through broadcasts and publications.
Established in 1934, we are a UK charity governed by a Royal Charter and recognized as a UK public body. We have several positions available and are actively seeking candidates to fill these roles.
1.) CMR & Logistics Manager
Pay band 6
- This position merges the responsibilities of overseeing the CMR (Confidential Material Room) and handling logistics tasks involved in managing the quality and distribution of materials required for Test Day. These materials include uniforms, banners, scanners, and equipment.
- The position also includes the responsibility of guaranteeing that exam papers are scanned and submitted on time to meet the necessary criteria for marking.
- Foster appropriate behaviours within the team to enhance awareness of the importance of confidentiality for sensitive exam-related materials.
- Implement measures to enhance the distribution and logistics of handling confidential materials, focusing on improvements.
Product Service Delivery:
- Supervises handling confidential materials and the Confidential Materials Room (CMR) to ensure compliance with British Council standards in setup and day-to-day operations.
- Organizes and oversees the sorting and packing of confidential exam materials for specific test venues.
- Takes charge of reconciling received exam materials and papers according to the plan, promptly escalating any discrepancies that may arise.
- Plans and coordinates the ordering, quality control, distribution, and management of resources required for Test Day, including process guides, stationery, branding/signage, and technical equipment such as speaking test tools and hand scanners.
- Provides support for continuous improvement initiatives to enhance team efficiency, cost-effectiveness, quality of service delivery, and overall systems.
- Assumes full responsibility for thoroughly researching and resolving complex or escalated operational complaints and issues from internal and external customers. Collaborates with colleagues, departments, and managers to ensure satisfactory and timely resolution.
- Keeps the customer well-informed at every step of the process.
Risk & Compliance
- Ensures compliance with the established CMR standards and management protocols and conducts regular random inspections to address potential issues proactively.
- Assists in audit procedures and performance evaluations by providing support and necessary reports.
- Adheres to the approved corporate risk management processes and procedures while delivering services, such as child protection, security policies, financial protocols, and anti-fraud measures, with the utmost dedication to safeguarding the British Council’s and its customer’s interests.
Analysis & Reporting
- The assistant follows established procedures and templates to regularly document, analyze, and report operational activity levels and performance data. This assists senior managers in making prompt and impactful business decisions that address operational requirements.
Commercial & Resource Management
- Monitor and maintain courier service level agreements (SLAs) and performance standards while establishing a positive rapport with the courier service provider in the country. Actively seek out and update the courier panel to ensure quality and cost standards adherence.
- Coordinate team efforts to meet transportation and security needs on the test day. Ensure the team requests and raises purchase orders for any necessary car hire.
- Supervise the inventory of exam equipment, such as CICO tablets. Ensure that accurate records are maintained for all exam equipment. Collaborate closely with IT, Facilities, and Procurement teams in this process.
- Possess a University Degree in a relevant field.
- Demonstrate extensive experience in a similar role for a significant period.
Role-specific Knowledge and Experience:
- Previous work experience in an operations setting, overseeing sensitive materials
- Experience in overseeing computer-based exams
- Proficient in establishing and nurturing relationships with external entities, such as exam boards
- Experienced in a demanding environment with strict timelines
- Familiarity with working in a compliant and regulated setting
- Skilled in managing teams.
The annual gross salary is N10,989,828.
2.) Test Day Coordinator
The working days:
Tuesday to Saturday
- The main objective of this position is to guarantee the smooth and efficient administration of exams in Nigeria.
- To oversee the engagement, relationship, and performance of Venue Supervisors.
- To handle and resolve potential risks or issues, including managing communication with candidates directly or through customer services.
- To serve as the primary contact for Venues and Test Day Supervisors on the test day.
- To collaborate closely with Operations staff to ensure exam registration and paper delivery are properly arranged for test day and to oversee post-test activities.
Including, but not restricted to, the following:
- Performs the necessary planning and execution tasks in anticipation of Test Days, adhering to BC procedures.
- The role involves receiving and addressing customer inquiries and serving as a knowledgeable resource for specific questions related to a designated area of expertise or responsibility. It also includes recognizing when more intricate issues need to be addressed by someone else and appropriately redirecting them.
- Utilizes standardized procedures and templates to consistently record, analyze, and present operational activities, such as venue staff performance, providing valuable insights to senior managers for making timely and well-informed business decisions that cater to operational requirements.
- Oversees and takes responsibility for managing small-scale resources, cash, and stock, following established protocols to ensure that necessary equipment and materials are readily available for use when required.
- Supports continuous improvement efforts within the unit or department to enhance efficiency, cost-effectiveness, and overall service quality.
- Implements contingency and risk management measures on-site, coordinating with Customer Service, Examiners, or Venue Staff to ensure seamless communication alignment.
- Plans and prioritizes work activities across various streams, accommodating changing and sometimes competing demands, to ensure the efficient execution of responsibilities over a weekly or monthly timeframe.
Role-specific knowledge and experience:
- Previous experience in a fast-paced operational setting, providing exceptional customer service.
- Proficiency in overseeing and upholding compliance, risk, and security measures.
- A degree from a university in any field or a relevant qualification to the position.
- Experience in providing assistance and support for the administration of computer-based examinations.
- Proficient in both written and verbal communication in the English language.
The annual salary for this position is NGN7,363,086.00, along with additional benefits.
31st July 2023.
- The person in this role must already be authorised to reside and work in the country where the role is located.
- It may be necessary for the person in this role to work on weekends and also supervise in centres that are not their primary location.