Moringa -The Wonders Of Moringa Oleifera
Moringa oleifera commonly referred to as Moringa is a fast-growing drought-resistant nitrogen-fixing tree, which belongs to the family- moringacese, native to the Indian continent northern India precisely.
It is highly rich in vitamins A, B, C, D, E, K and antioxidants, and at the same time considered resourceful as the leaves, pods, seeds, gums, bark, fruits and flower are of medicinal values to the human race.
Important healthy compounds which are of medical values such as calcium, zinc, phosphorus, low fats, magnesium, manganese, copper, and amino acid et cetera are seen present in moringa, making it very beneficial to man.
In recent time, a study has shown that the MORINGA also referred to as drumstick due to its long, slender and triangular seed pods is beneficial to the human body in the following ways:
- Enhances the cardiovascular system of the body.
- Reduces the amount of vitamin and mineral deficiency.
- Supports normal body glucose in the body.
- Improves sensitive part of the body like the eyes and bones.
- Yields positive result in combating malnutrition.
- Brings about an improved and enhanced immune system.
- Improves and increases mental alertness.
- Improves anaemic blood et cetera.
Due to technological advancement, the moringa tree is processed in different forms such as capsule, extracts, oil, powder and teas. Nevertheless, some parts of the moringa tree like the seed and flower are administered without being processed. The seed is roasted and eaten like nuts while as the flower can be used to make tea.
According to the study by the World Health Organization (WHO), moringa has content value in the following below:
- Vitamin A – 6780 mg
- Vitamin C – 220 mg
- Calcium – 440 mg
- Poltasium – 259 mg
- Protein – 6.6 g
The statistics above show how highly beneficial the Moringa oleifera is to the human body. In this same vein, you will be marvelled at the pharamalogical properties of the MORINGA oleifera. They are:
- It is known for its anti-bacterial and antifungal effect.
- It has an anti-oxidant effect that is, extracts from the Moringa leaves shows high potent antioxidant activity against free radical which protects the body against oxidative damage. It contains major antioxidant compounds such as β-carotene, glucosinolate, isothiocyanates, thiocarbamates and flavonoids et cetera.
- Due to the presence of isothiocyanates and polyphenols in moringa oleifera, it is said to possess strong anti-inflammatory properties which reduce inflammation.
- Research has it that the Moringa oleifera holds a significant amount of cardioprotective effect. This can be seen in the study by Randriamboavongy, (2016) when the Moringa treatment yielded positive results when used on rats. It reduced the nocturnal heart rate, improved its cardiac diastolic function, reduced the left ventricular and relative anterior wall thickness.
- Study has shown that moringa has significant wound-healing properties, as it was demonstrated using a rat. The aqueous extract of the moringa leaves speaks volumes of its healing activity.
Indeed, many wonders are gifted to mankind through the moringa tree. No wonder it is being referred to as the miracle tree as its benefit to the human body cannot be overemphasized ranging from the health sector to the beauty and finally to it’s ability of curing diseases. Below lies major benefits of the moringa oleifera;
- It helps the body absorb more iron, thus it helps increase the red blood cells which are very much helpful in combatting anemia and sickle cell disease.
- Due to the anti-oxidant properties present in the moringa extracts, it protects the body against kidney disorders.
- It helps ease lung functions and breathing. Thus it is effective in treating asthma.
- It aids reduction in the amount of glucose present in the blood sugar and protein present in the urine. Thus it is effective in treating diabetes.
- It aids quick wound healing and removal of a scar on the body.
- It helps prevent cardiac damages as a result of the anti-oxidant properties present in it.
- A glass of tea made from moringa has shown that it helps treat anxiety, depression and all kinds of mood swings et cetera.
- Calcium and phosphorus are healthy compounds which aid healthy and strong bones.
- It combats against bacterial diseases, due to it’s content of anti-bacterial, antifungal and antimicrobial properties present in it’s extract.
- Stomach disorders like constipation and gastritis are treated with the aid of moringa extract.
- Niazimicin, a compound that suppresses the development of cancer cells is present in the moringa extracts thus it is used in the treatment and prevention of cancer.
- It aids in protecting the liver.
- It is effective in treating edema.
- It improves the nutrition of the body, as it is highly nutritional.
- The oil extract from the moringa seeds helps in protecting and nourishing the skin, hair and also serves as a cure to varieties of skin infections and sores.
Study has shown that the moringa extract possesses anti-fertility qualities. Thus, pregnant women are advised not to use it.
Aside from the health benefits of the moringa oleifera extracts, it is also been used for none food purposes such as:
- Biodiesel production
- Machine lubricant
- Ingredients in beauty products like perfumes and oil et cetera.
- The seed cake remnant serves as fertilizers aids the removal of salt from seawater, and the purification of well water et cetera.
Indeed, referring to the moringa oleifera as a miracle tree is absolutely on point. Every part of the moringa is useful. The benefits of the moringa oleifera are not limited to the health benefits but also serves for non-food purposes. Indeed its benefits are innumerable.